Sunday, October 28, 2012

I always have great expectations of sharing our journeys to Africa.  After all, there are so many misconceptions about Africa, I would love to expose them by our first hand experiences.  But life happens and here we are 6 [now 7] days into our trip and here goes the first post.  Might be a long one, or not, who knows ;).

Traveling went flawless.  I never sleep on the plane and apparently Ashton does not either.  That can make for a pretty long 26 hours but every time we would look at the tracker with hours to go I would remind Ashton [and myself] of what an amazing blessing it is to be on the other side of the world in such a short time.  She agreed.  Sometimes all we need is a little perspective on our circumstance.


We were greeted by my MIL and a few RH gems.  Travel weariness all faded away.



Morning sunrise with coffee and Jesus to kick off our time, nothing better.


We hopped a boda to RH and got to watch the workings of their day.  Most were at school but the staff and long time volunteers were there and it was nice to get to be fly on the wall and not be catered to.  I was impressed with how everyone knew their job and did it.  Life in Africa takes work, lots of work.  Ashton jumped right in where she could.








Evening prayers and our day was done…. and so was I… with the flu :/.

I spent the next day in bed - all day - barely moving.  MIL came over to play games with Ashton.  Not what we planned but that's how it goes and I planted my feet on that.

The next day we headed into Kampala and were back where we adopted #5 from 3 years ago.  I enjoyed hearing the mama's say, "Mama Isaiah, you are most welcome back."

We spent as much time as we could there for the next few days with a few adventures mixed in.  We cruised downtown for a meeting and ended the day in the worship service at Watoto.  Tears, praise and a good word spoken about Israel and we were on our way home to have dinner with a friend we have known for years and the kids have skyped with lots.  Special treat.
















Friday Market can not be missed.  Neither Ashton or I are much for shopping but this was fun and I am already sad I did not buy a few more things.

On the way back Patrick encouraged us to take the local bus/taxi system.  I have done this before and have to say I was not excited but he was, so we did and I am glad for the adventure.  Still not a fan tho but what great opportunity to talk myself out of a claustrophobia attack, hehe.  Fear conquered.

The afternoon was spent playing with the kids and helping where we could.  Never easy to leave so we  prayed, we prayed for each child to be placed in a family as soon as possible because that's where we bloom best, in families.

One prayer request I had was to have a thunderstorm while in Kampala.  Prayer answered. :)  I just love it because in the midst of an aching heart it's a reminder of how great God is…. and He is!

Now as I type we are headed back to Jinja.  The kids will be out of school and we will spend the week at RH.  

more to come…..

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your enjoying your time their. Love your post.:). Btw i know a couple anxious to talk with you about adoption. I'm so excited to see what God has planned:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! So fund to "tag along" and read what you're doing. Now, if only there were a way to smell and hear the thunderstorm and snuggle chuuby little babies via the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one of Ash with all the babies surrounding her. She looks a little overwhelmed! So cute....looks like a good trip so far. Yah! Love getting up early every morning and first thing on FB there you are with a new post. Love it! Love you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience to share with Ashton, it will be life-changing for her...love the pictures and thoughts you share...love you two!!! Safe trip home and soak up all that love there and bring it home to share & spill on all of us around you!!! Lots of hugs! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that bottom picture too. Oh how I would love to spend a week in the orphanage, but I can't imagine the heartache when it's time to leave.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!